Why Copper?

In the U.S. alone, 2,000,000 people acquire infections in hospitals each year resulting in nearly 100,000 deaths. Antimicrobial Copper kills the bacteria that cause these infections.

Healthcare-Associated Infections (HAIs) place a significant socioeconomic burden on people from all regions of the world.  In addition to the immeasurable personal costs, the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) estimate the direct cost of HAIs in the U.S. at between $35 and $45 billion annually.  These infections are caused by bacteria that thrive on objects we touch every day.  Antibiotic-resistant bacteria have spread from the healthcare environment to schools, homes and mass transit.  Despite aggressive hand washing campaigns and routine cleaning, these infections are increasing at an alarming rate.

Now there is a new weapon in the fight against the bacteria that cause these deadly infections: Antimicrobial Copper.

Antimicrobial Copper is the only touch surface material registered by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to continuously kill more than 99.9% of the bacteria that cause HAIs within two hours of contact.

Science supporting the EPA registration has proven Antimicrobial Copper to be the most effective antimicrobial touch surface and has sparked a global campaign advocating the use of these materials to combat infectious bacteria in healthcare facilities, mass transit, educational institutions and beyond.

Three main characteristics make Antimicrobial Copper the most effective touch surface material:

Continuously kills bacteria

  • Efficacy as an antimicrobial is proven far more effective than stainless steel or silver-containing coatings
  • Proven to continuously kill the bacteria* that cause infections
  • The only solid antimicrobial touch surface approved by EPA

Never wears out

  • Continuous and ongoing antimicrobial action
  • Remains effective even after repeated wet & dry abrasion and re-contamination
  • Natural tarnishing does not impair efficacy

Safe to use

  • Not harmful to people or the environment
  • Inherently antimicrobial, no chemicals added
  • Completely recyclable